Not everyone is into the lovey-dovey, ooey-gooey celebration of Valentine’s Day. You may be single or perhaps in a couple but just don’t like the over the top mush that is Valentine’s Day. Let’s face it, the restaurants are overcrowded and have limited menus, flowers are crazy expensive, and if you’re single you don’t want to be surrounded by couples making googly eyes at each other all night. So my solution? Throw an ANTI-Valentine’s Day Party! It doesn’t mean you don’t love love (you can have a date with your special someone anytime), but on Valentine’s Day you can have a lot of fun with ALL your friends, single or not, with an Anti-Valentine’s theme!
Voodoo Doll Instructions:
- Make a template of your shape (I used a gingerbread man outline) on cardboard or chipboard and cut out.
- Iron freezer paper onto two pieces of felt.
- Using the template, trace your design onto the freezer paper.
- Cut out and peel off freezer paper.
- Sew button, cut out felt heart, “X” for the eye, and mouth onto one of the cut out shapes.
- Using a blanket stitch, sew the two shapes together leaving the head.
- Stuff the doll with stuffed animal stuffing.
- Sew the head with the blanket stitch.
The video below shows the whole process in very fast motion. 🙂
It took quite a while to make the above doll, so I shortened the process but making a few more in the pattern below (which took a quarter of the time!)
- Cut out the flags using a sturdy paper and trim the bottom edge. I used silver scrapbook paper in different patterns.
- Punch two holes in the top of each flag.
- Cut out squares of black construction paper and trim the edges using paper edgers (scrapbooking scissors).
- Using stencils and a silver paint pen, draw your letters onto the black pieces of paper.
- Glue your letters onto the silver flags.
- Thread a black ribbon through the holes in the top of each flag and tie the ends to a curtain rod.
Anti-Valentine Heart Cookies:
Here’s my version of the Sweethearts candies, but with Anti-Valentine’s messages. No “true love” or “be mine” here, but you will find a “Meh.” and a “Bite Me”.
Voodoo Doll Gingerbread People:
OK, these didn’t turn out quite like I planned, but they’re still cute in a “wow, she must have been really tired when she made these” sort of a way. Right? Anyway, you get the idea.
Stabbed in the Heart Cupcakes:
I love these. Just chocolate cupcakes, because chocolate! Then I made the heart in cookie icing. For the finishing touch I stabbed the heart with sword cocktail toothpicks!
Fuming Cupid Cocktails:
The jalapeno infused vodka gives this drink a wonderful heat. Add in the pomegranate, lime, and orange soda and you’ve got a tasty drink! For the recipe, please follow the link above.
While the Fuming Cupid was the signature drink of the party, I made sure to have some prosecco available as well. Mix the prosecco with a little pomegranate or cranberry juice and you’ve got a cute pink drink!
I thought the framed pictures were a nice touch as well, if I do say so myself. So maybe this year save the mushy stuff for another night and have a party everyone can enjoy instead!
Happy Anti-Valentine’s Day!